What does good look like?
DOING THE RIGHT THING AND DOING IT THE RIGHT WAY
As with anything we do, inceptions are based on principles and paradigms that we know make the difference:
- We validate that our solution is desirable, viable and feasible. Note that we use discoveries to find opportunities and define valid value propositions, and then inceptions to further validate these and find the best way of delivering.
- We deliver the most valuable outcomes when we focus on problem / opportunity and solution / outcomes.
- We achieve this by applying product thinking to focus us on the user; lean principles to work efficiently, and agile approaches to deliver in an environment of change and uncertainty.
- We gain certainty by forming hypotheses and validating these by running experiments that capture qualitative and quantitative data.
- We deliver most successfully when all stakeholders are aligned, risks are identified and mitigated early, and trust within the team is high.
These principles are woven through everything we do during an inception – as well as the subsequent delivery and operations work.
THE OUTCOME OF A SUCCESSFUL INCEPTION
By following these principles, we aim to gain confidence that
- We are doing the right thing
- We will be doing it in the right way
- We know what to do next
- We can hit the ground running
- We have minimised risk as much as possible
We know we have been successful when we can continue on to deliver with greater confidence and ease.
We may also want to periodically review our understanding and whether we are on track.